When we go on diets that cut certain foods out of our daily eating habits our body views this as if we are starving. Since we are starving, our body tries to conserve energy. Dieters often complain of lack of energy, fatigue, exhaustion, headaches and difficulty concentrating, depression, irritability, etc. This is a direct result of the body not getting enough fuel (food/calories) to function optimally.
So what what does this mean?
DO NOT SKIP MEALS!! This is the number one mistake people make. By doing this the body is instinctively 'saving' calories. By drastically reducing your caloric intake you are working against the natural rhythm of your body. This is also the reason you will see that you gain all + more of the lost weight as soon as you get off your diet. The body starts 'storing' calories for a future 'self-induced famine'. This is also known as the 'yo-yo syndrome'... losing and gaining the same weight over and over again.
So what is the best way to lose weight??
- Eat six to eight small meals a day. Do not eat until you are full, just eat until you are satisfied.
- Eat well-balanced meals. There is no such thing as 'bad' food... every food group is used by your body for necessary functions.
- Do some type of aerobic exercise (walking, jogging, swimming, stationary cycling, aerobics, etc.) on a DAILY basis for 30 to 60 minutes, preferably in the morning. Forget this twice-a-week stuff. Your body was designed to be active on a daily basis! When you are active your metabolism will soar!
- Do an additional 15 to 30 minutes of aerobic exercise in the evening, five days per week.
- Incorporate "intervals" into most of your aerobic sessions. Intervals are a powerful tool to help boost your metabolism. Intervals means adding a brief stint of 1 minute aerobic activity every 10 minutes into your regular exercise routine.
- Tone your muscles with weight training six days per week. Toned muscles supercharge your metabolism! This should be done just after an aerobic exercise session. You should exercise each body part three times per week.
- Always eat breakfast! Skipping breakfast sends the message to your body that you are "starving" because you haven't had food in 18+ hours (dinner the night before to lunch the following day). As a protective mechanism, your metabolism slows down.
If you don't have the time to find 6-8 small healthy meals to eat each day I want to recommend MGM Supplment Shake Mix. The meal shakes make for a perfect meals that have all the proper nutrition.
Visit MGM Supplment for all your nutritional needs!! (A Shaklee Distributor)